From the David Sheldrick Elephant Centre, we headed towards the Giraffe Centre. All right we were scheduled for Naivasha the next day, where there would be many giraffes, but both Ridi and I didn’t want to give away the opportunity to feed them. We reasoned, The Giraffes at Naivasha and Masai Mara would be in the wild. We can’t go up to them to feed them. Let’s do that at the Giraffe Centre in Nairobi. And anyway, both of us are incorrigible animal lovers….we can do the same thing every day and not be bored….
And we found out that at the Giraffe Centre, you can get a kiss too from the giraffes. Hold food in your mouth and see how they slurp it off …..giggle and squeal as much as you want, but this is quite a kiss!
Quick facts about the Giraffe Centre in Nairobi, Kenya:
- Distance: About a 20 minute drive from Nairobi downtown.
- Timing: Open on all days from 9am to 5 pm
- Rates: 1000 Kenyan Shilling for adult foreigners and 500 KES for children foreigners.
- Booking: You do not need prior booking
- Information Centre: Offers to educate visitors on how the centre works for the conservation and care of the giraffes.
- Café & Curio Shop: The proceeds from the café and the curio shop go for the care of the giraffes.
- Tortoises: Yup, tortoises! They have them too in a small enclosure. Which means, you can actually see the ‘tall and short’ of the animal world here at the Giraffe Centre!
By the way, did you know that the giraffe’s tongue is blue in colour? You find out at the Giraffe Centre while feeding them 🙂
Check out our video of feeding the giraffes at the Centre on YouTube — Click here — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLmJuNzWto&feature=youtu.be
We went for a 5-day trip to Kenya one Christmas, of which, we spent one day in Nairobi, one day in Naivasha, three days in Maasai Mara. We have written exhaustively about our explorations and experiences — In order to make it easy for you to locate all the information, should you be planning a similar trip, this post will give you a snap-shot of all the ‘must-dos and must-sees’ — Itinerary for Nairobi, Naivasha & Maasai Mara in Kenya