We were booked for Kenya and Rwanda last Christmas. And the following were the mandatory vaccinations that we had to take for Kenya and Rwanda, both.
Polio vaccination and requirements: Polio is a mandatory vaccination for Kenya and Rwanda
- Tourist from India to Kenya need to take a dose of Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV)
- OPV for Indian tourists to Kenya is compulsory from 1st March, 2014
- The OPV vaccination should be taken one month before the date of travel.
- The OPV is needed for any age-group
- The vaccination will be valid for a year
- Get the OPV either at a designated polio centre of your city.
- Procedure to get the Polio Vaccination in Mumbai:
- Since we live in Mumbai, we got it from the Airport Health Organisation near the Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport. The wait/queue for the Polio Vaccination is not long. You simply need to fill a form, show your original Passport and tickets. They don’t charge money for the OPV vaccination.
Yellow Fever Vaccination and Requirements: Yellow Fever is a mandatory vaccination for Kenya and Rwanda
- Indian tourists compulsorily need the Yellow Fever vaccination if travelling to Kenya and/or Rwanda.
- The Yellow Fever vaccination should be taken 10 days before the date of travel
- Yellow Fever vaccination is compulsory for every age group, excepting infants less than 6 months old
- The vaccination, once taken, will be valid for 10 years
- Procedure to take Yellow Fever vaccination in Mumbai:
- We got the vaccination from the Airport Health Organisation near the Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
- They administer only 100 yellow fever vaccinations in a day. So go early, for, the queues can be serpentine.
- You simply need to fill a form, show your original Passport and tickets. They charge about Rs 300 per person for the vaccination
Vaccinations for Malaria Tetanus, Diphtheria, Typhoid, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Rabies, Meningitis are recommended, although not mandatory vaccinations for Kenya and Rwanda trip.
We went for a 5-day trip to Kenya one Christmas, of which, we spent one day in Nairobi, one day in Naivasha, three days in Maasai Mara. We have written exhaustively about our explorations and experiences — In order to make it easy for you to locate all the information, should you be planning a similar trip, this post will give you a snap-shot of all the ‘must-dos and must-sees’ — Itinerary for Nairobi, Naivasha & Maasai Mara in Kenya